What you might not know is that it isn't always the case, especially with the help of an open-source IT tracking tool.
What is an open source IT asset management software?
An IT asset management software, also known as an open source IT tracking tool, is designed to automate a wide range of business practices, completely eradicating the need to manually do so. With the help of this tool, enterprises earn the capacity to streamline the financial, contractual, and inventory roles of each IT asset they own.
Generally speaking, an open source IT tracking software provides visibility, clarity, and awareness about the usage and maintenance of various IT assets, allowing IT departments to perform strategic decision making.
Some of the processes done through an open source IT asset management tool include recording information, tracking details, managing lifecycle, generating reports, and sending notifications. What's more, there are other benefits to using a reliable open source IT tracking tool:
- Real-time asset tracking
- Centralized information
- Accurate processes
- Smart budget planning
- Better decision making
- Identifying thefts and frauds
- Reduced security and compliance risks
If you're looking for the right open source IT asset management software for your business, make sure it has the following features:
- Check-in/Check-out of the incoming and outgoing details of your IT assets
- Auditing options
- Disposing/Recovering IT assets
- Customizable data fields
- Creating asset tag
- Secure user access
Let's take a look at some of the best open source IT tracking software to take into consideration:
Snipe-IT is a free and open source IT tracking tool, designed to run on Linux, Windows, or Mac web server. For easy localization, this software can be translated into several languages and features an admin dashboard that enables users to view their recent activities, as well as an overall view of their organization's assets, accessories, consumables, and components.
Snipe-IT also has built-in customizable email templates that can be used to send reports that include check-ins/check-outs, low inventory, and everything concerning a company's IT assets.
- Delivers information about the assigned assets to the users and their physical location
- Enables one-click check-in
- Compatibility with barcode scanners and QR code reader applications
- Quick and easy asset auditing
- Easy import and export of assets in the system
- Generates QR code labels for easy mobile access
- Can keep a complete history of check-ins, check-outs, and maintenance of the assets
With features built to help users view, secure, control, and manage their assets from a centralized location, the SysAid IT asset management software is a great choice. It can also provide enterprises with real-time accurate data, which can help with making informed decisions for the company.
- Provides complete information about software products and hardware components
- Integrates with the help desk software, permitting easy ticket creation in case of any issue
- Deploys and manages patches assigned to different computers and peripherals
- Tracks and monitors each asset of the organization on a real-time basis
- Sends notifications and alerts in case of any changes happening in the network or memory usage
- Imports data from other applications or spreadsheets, providing a clear view of the IT assets available in a network
GLPI can keep track of the entire lifecycle of IT assets, obtain the real-time status of a software's whereabouts, as well as determine the expiry of their licenses. This is a great open source IT tracking tool to use if you want to be in control of your IT budget and expenses.
- and manages asset inventory
- Provides a comprehensive view of assets with the connections and network ports
- Delivers information about each IT asset's history of modification
- Manages installed software details and licenses, as well as other internal components
- Controls the entire asset lifecycle
- Allows users to manage assets reservation
Spiceworks helps users manage all network resources. It can be used with other help desk and network monitoring tools and allows organizations to manage their inventory, monitor licensed products, and generate reports.
- Easy to use dashboard
- Accurately manages and tracks inventory
- Keeps track of all software licenses
- Determines all hardware and software components used within a network
- Generates customized reports
ITarian makes asset management tasks easier, right from purchasing to perishment. It can cover all aspects of IT assets, which helps businesses to manage everything relating to their hardware components and software licenses from a centralized system.
- Provides transparent and crystal clear information
- Scans barcodes on the asset inventory
- Streamlines the entire process of asset procurement
- Maintains the records of data usage
- Allows users to configure depreciation schedules
- Makes the process of scrapping assets as smooth as possible
It's true that managing IT assets can cost a lot but it doesn't have to be when you have a reliable open source IT tracking solution.